FB pixel
Home Conservation & Sustainability National Marine Sanctuary

Welcome to a sanctuary like no other, where pristine waters, vibrant marine life, and a rich cultural history come together to create an unforgettable journey. The Palau National Marine Sanctuary (PNMS) is a testament to Palau's commitment to environmental conservation, making it a must-visit destination for travelers seeking to explore the depths of the ocean and immerse themselves in a world of natural wonder.


A Marine Paradise Like No Other


The Palau National Marine Sanctuary established on 1 January 2020 is one of the world's largest protected areas of ocean, covering over 80% of Palau's Exclusive Economic Zone (EEZ). This marine paradise extends across approximately 500,000 square kilometers – an area larger than the U.S. state of California. The remaining 20% of Palau's EEZ is reserved for traditional fishing and carefully regulated domestic fishing to support the local community.

Lesser known but critical in paving the way for the National Marine Sanctuary is that 11 years before that, on September 25, 2009, Palau was the first in the world to declare its entire exclusive economic zone a sanctuary for sharks. The Shark Haven Act has since set forth a profound shift in the global effort to protect marine biodiversity, starting a tsunami of conservation that has since grown to 17 sanctuaries, from Samoa to Sint Maarten, particularly in the Maldives, Honduras, Bahamas, and Tokelau.

Read More


Conservation for Generations


When you visit the PNMS, you're not just witnessing a marine wonderland; you're contributing to its preservation. Palau's long-standing tradition of "bul," a local practice restricting fishing in specific reef areas, reflects the island's cultural values and commitment to biodiversity and food security. The sanctuary extends this tradition to protect the entire EEZ, ensuring a sustainable and thriving marine environment for generations to come.


Explore with SoulTrips


SoulTrips, in partnership with local tour operators, offers a range of eco-friendly tours for travelers who want to explore the Palau National Marine Sanctuary mindfully:

Dive Tours: Immerse yourself in the vibrant underwater world of Palau. Dive into crystal-clear waters and encounter a stunning array of marine life, including colorful coral reefs, giant clams, and diverse fish species.

Snorkeling Tours: Discover the beauty of the sanctuary from the surface. Snorkel in warm, inviting waters and witness the incredible biodiversity just beneath the surface. Explore coral gardens, swim with nonstinging jellyfish, and marvel at the wonders of Palau's marine life.

Kayak Tours: Paddle your way through the pristine marine environment. Kayak tours allow you to explore tranquil lagoons, hidden coves, and stunning marine landscapes. You'll have the chance to observe Palau's unique ecosystem up close while enjoying the tranquility of the sea.


Embrace Responsible Travel


As you embark on your journey through the Palau National Marine Sanctuary, remember that responsible travel is the key to preserving this natural wonder. Respect the environment, follow local guidelines, and appreciate the cultural significance of this remarkable sanctuary.


Plan Your Sanctuary Adventure


Join us in experiencing the beauty of the Palau National Marine Sanctuary while supporting its conservation. Book your tour with Soultrips and make memories that will last a lifetime. Together, we can ensure that this ocean's hidden treasure remains protected and thriving for generations to come. Palau is waiting to share its wonders with you.


Explore this extraordinary landscape and immerse yourself in a living testament to nature's wonders with Soultrips.

Join us on an extraordinary adventure to explore this natural treasure trove and immerse yourself in the rich heritage of Palau.

Explore Our Experiences

All our trips are designed with sustainability and your well-being in mind. Explore with a conscience and leave nothing but footprints of inspiration.

Start Your Adventure Today